Sunday 13 May 2012

FIVE STEREOTYPES ABOUT RUSSIA OR WHY RUSSIANS NEVER SMILE



“Stereotypes are standardized and simplified conceptions
of people based on some prior assumptions”
Wikipedia.


“Stereotypes are standardized and simplified conceptions
of people based on some prior assumptions”
Wikipedia.
Since I moved to Canada, about 4years ago, I have learned quite a few new facts about myself and my country of origin. Here is a list of the five most common stereotypes or myths I usually hear about Russia and Russians. I  am also offering here some commentary and some explanation about my newly obtained knowledge.
Myth number one claims that Russia is very cold. Russia is the largest country in the world, and it is spread throughout several climate zones from  year-round frozen lands around the Baltic sea to always hot and sunny coasts of the Black sea. In some Russian territories, snowfall in the winter is a very rare event, and it comes as much of a surprise as would snow in Egypt. Russia has hot and dry sand deserts in the south-east, as well as humid subtropical territories in the south. The climate of Russia’s capital Moscow, unlike a popular but false belief, is very much like the climate in Toronto, with the exception of a longer and much nicer spring. Almost every time when I mention that I am cold, people act very surprised that a Russian can get cold. I don’t have any logical explanation for that.
The following note has nothing to do with the subject of this story, but I feel an urge to share my idea. Unlike many Russians, I do not think that the country’s  status as the largest in the world is a legit reason for national pride simply because it is only a geographical fact. Having happy citizens with healthy lives and a positive attitude is something to be proud of, but not the size of the country you live in. Russia is the largest country, but it is far from being the best place to live in.
A common stereotype, which is number two on my list, suggests that Russians drink a lot. It is as true as saying that Canadians use canoes as public transport. Some people drink socially, others drink heavily, a lot of people do not drink at all. We do, though, have customs and traditions with consuming a lot of alcohol on special occasions, but that barely equals the fact that we are all drunks. Russia, like any other country in the world, has an issue with alcoholism, especially in the last decade. People are poor, unhappy, and hopeless, and as a result many Russians drink. Some people want to take the pressure off, others  are trying to get away from a dull reality, and everyone raises a  glass or two when they are happy. 
Myth number three assures me that Russians have wild bears as pets. Some myths and stereotypes are sillier than others. This myth in particular makes me speechless. I never know what to answer, so everytime someone asks me if there are bears on the streets of Moscow, I just nod my head and smile. 
Myth number four talks about the male population of the largest country in the world. Russian men, or as we are often called, savage lovers, are very good in bed. This is true and I couldn’t agree more.
Myth number five rumours that all Russians are spies. If this were true, it would make us very bad spies. If everyone knows that you are a spy, then I believe you have failed at your job. I blame books and movies about the red danger as well as the Cold War with American government’s propaganda about dangerous and unpredictable communists Russians. If you were wondering, I am not a spy, I think.
There is one fact about Russia that I wish was a myth. Russia has a very corrupt and bureaucratic government. There is organized crime in Russia, which is controlled by the wealthiest mob in the world, the Kremlin’s elite. They  are blamed for stealing billions of dollars, murdering and imprisoning hundreds of people and, unfortunately, those accusations are supported by undeniable evidence. Unfortunately it is true, and I couldn’t have said it better myself.
These are five stereotypes about Russia and its citizens that I have learned about since I moved to Canada. Summing up all the above, Canadians believe that Russians are freezing cold all year round, therefore Russians drink vodka every day like fish and live next to wild bears who walk freely in big cities, yet you are surprised why Russians never smile?!

No comments:

Post a Comment